Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gadget Recommendation: Eye-Fi SD Card

Ok kids, if you know me, you are aware of the fact that I am a big technology / gadget guy, so you shouldn't be surprised to see tech recommendations on my site from time to time.  So here's a little technological marvel that will save you all kinds of time and can help you update photos on your blog / website a lot more regularly:


If you have a digital camera that takes an SD memory card, and you have a wireless network at home, I highly recommend that you look into one of these cards.  Basically, these cards have an antenna built into them that will wirelessly transmit your pictures to the destination of your choice.  There are three different cards, each with different capabilities:
  • Eye-Fi Home (Blue)
    • Will wirelessly transmit the pictures from your camera to a folder that you designate on your computer.  Take your pictures just as you normally would and when your camera comes within 45 feet of your wireless network, the pictures will be copied to your computer.
    • $79 on Amazon 
  • Eye-Fi Share (Green)
    • Same as the version above, but it can also upload automatically to a photo sharing site that you have an account with (some are free).  Supported Sites 
    • I have this one and it is awesome.  I use it with Phanfare and set it to put the pictures in a private folder.  Check it out.  All I have to do is go on and move the ones I like to a public folder.  I never kept our site updated until I got this.  Sooo much easier.
    • $87 on Amazon  (Note that the one at Amazon is orange but has the same features)
  • Eye-Fi Explore (Red)
    • Has all of the features mentioned above, but also can upload from 10,000 other wireless hotspots around the world (not just your home network.)  Another feature is geo-tagging, which captures where you were when you took the picture and saves it as part of the file.
    • $117 on Amazon 
I recommend the second one, here's a diagram that illustrates how it works.  Don't worry, these are secure.  You don't have to worry about you pictures going to anyone else.  Each card has to be configured on the computer that the photos are going to.  The setup process is fast and easy.  I have to admit that this was one of those "gifts" that I got Allison, but it was really for me.  (Geek factor took over).  Thankfully, it ended up ok... she LOVES it!

1 comment: